Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Are You Using Your To-Do List Productively?

To-do list


Your to-do list is a reminder of what you should be doing on a particular day. Does the to-do list help you to be more productive? Here are a few questions to find out if you are using the to-do list effectively:

1. Do you prepare the list in advance? I maintain two lists. One list is for the things to do at work. The other list is for things to do before I start work and after work. I prepare the office list at the end of a working day and I leave it on my desk. The other list I do is in the evening before I go to bed. In this way, I have planned and organized myself and I can go to sleep with peace of mind.

2. Do you keep the list always in sight? It can be a piece of paper in your shirt pocket or it is stored in your smartphone. The most important thing is that you can look at the list anytime anywhere to stay on top of things.

3. How long is your to-do list? A shortlist is a better way to get things done. It is not overwhelming and it is not stressful with fewer things to do. You only need to do one or two things which are the most important to you and give you the desired results.

4. Do you do the most important thing first? In the morning your energy is at its peak. It is the best time to tackle the most important and difficult tasks. When it is done you will feel great relief for the rest of the day.

5. Are important routines listed? This is referring to your personal list. Such things as going for a jog, reading a few pages. These things are not urgent, but when you do them every day, your life will be benefited in the long run. Such items in the list remind you that something important is not done yet and you have got to do it.

6. Do you add new ideas or items to the list during the day as things occur to you? It is a good habit to add new things and useful ideas so that you can plan for it and do it later.

7. Do you review your to-do list at the end of the day? By looking at the to-do list, it is very satisfying to look at those items that you have crossed out. It boosts your confidence that you can get things done without delay. Are you able to accomplish the task as planned? Do you encounter difficulties? Will you be able to do better the next day? Congratulate yourself when you are able to complete the most important tasks on the to-do list.


Do you use a to-do list? If not, how do you get the right things done and be productive every day?

4 comments:

  1. I tend to not add new items to my list during the day. Really urgent ones get added, however. For the most part, I like to wipe out everything on my to-do list before tackling anything new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article. Another thing that I like to do is color-coordinate my lists according to the deadlines- that way I can ensure that everything in that day's color is done by the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting and your great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...